Friday, March 18, 2011

Recap of the Day

As I mentioned earlier, they intubated Dad this morning.  The breathing tube is doing the work for him because he was having to work too hard with the bi-pap machine.  Also, the machine had a mask that he just was not happy to have.  So, the intubation is actually better.

After he was intubated, the pulmonologist did a bronchial scope.  He put some saline in and then sucked it out to get some cells from Dad's lung.  His clotting levels are off due to all the meds, so they couldn't risk an actual biopsy.  We should get results from that in a few days.

With the intubation tube and sedation, Dad actually looks like he is getting much needed rest.  I know he's worried about Mom and I think he is fighting sleep because he is too scared that he won't wake up.  So, Mom and I talk to him and let him know we are there watching over him and that he needs to rest and let his body fight the nasty cancer monsters.  This afternoon it seemed to relax him some.  This evening, he kept trying to raise his hands (which are strapped down so he doesn't pull the tubes out), moving his head and trying to talk.  We had to keep telling him to just relax.  He only needs to worry about himself.  I promise him every day that I am taking care of Mom.  And... if you know my parents, that is VERY important to him.

Mom is doing as well as can be expected.  I kinda lost it a little today, but... I am OK.  And, it is not about me!  I am here as a support to Mom and Dad.  After all, without them, I wouldn't be me or where I am today!!!

The nurses he has had since the beginning of his stay have been wonderful!  It is observed and greatly appreciated.  Keep the prayers coming!

Lots of Love,

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment